Monday, November 17, 2008

Proverbs 16:18

Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.( or stumbling)

Pride makes you who you never wanted to be...and keeps you from things that you really want. Augustine wrote, "It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." I know that first part pretty well, but not so much of the second, though there are times that I think I want to be humble.. not humbled so much as choosing to be humble over and against being full of pride.Its a pretty fierce battle for me. Pride strongarms its way into my behavior almost before I know it and destroys things I have worked hard at building. But a few minute victories over it, here and there, remind me that I really do have the ability to choose my behavior and my actions or responses. I just wish that I could defeat my pride to the extent that I wouldn't have to worry about it! But I don't think that's going to happen this side of eternity.I think that this is a battle that God gives me to fight, by the strength of the indwelling Holy Spirit , but its a daily, hourly, minutely, fight until His Kingdom comes on earth. But He came, as a baby, as a human, to show me that it can be done.

In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

No comments: