Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sounds of Christmas: Quiet

Its quiet in my house tonight. For the past four days the house has been full of people--sounds of talking, laughter, eating and drinking. Sounds of life. Sounds of joy. But now its quiet, very quiet because I am the only one home except the dog and he's asleep. I should be sad, but I'm doing ok because I know that in 2 weeks my daughters will be back at our house, filling it with noisy life.
So one of the sounds of the season for me is people sounds... familiar voices and noises: like the way I always clear my throat, or my Mom would blow her nose or the sound of my father-in-law chewing or the way one of my daughter's sneezes and sound like Cindy Lou Who. I think that everybody has a noise that is unique to them but you have to know a person well to grasp what it is that is their unique sound.
So then, what are the unique sounds of the Lord? Sometimes during Advent I hear the Lord in the stillness right before the break of dawn..
"Be still and know that I am God" psalm 46:10

No comments: