Thursday, August 20, 2009

The conversion

Seedlings in Stone issued a poetry prompt that inspired me. Here is my contribution;
The Conversion

"I want a porch!"
I told the builder
"Can't do it." he replied.

"I want a porch!
I told my husband
"What do you mean?" he asked.

I want a place to sit outside
to see the trees,
to feel the breeze,
to read, to pray
to meditate.

I want an outside space
attached to the house
to sit,
to snuggle
to decorate.

"Well," he said.
"We can't add a porch
to this houseplan.
How bout a deck instead?"

If I can
sit in the sun
as the day's begun
And talk on the phone
with room to roam
Or observe the light
when day turns to night
I think a deck will do.

"We've added a deck!"
I told my mother.
"How lovely for you!
she exclaimed.

"I love my deck!"
I told my husband.
He nodded and said.
"I know."

2 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Loved the slow switch. Sometimes we can live with a dream converted. :)

sojourner said...

this was delightful! a story poem with a happy ending - it made me smile knowingly :0)