Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Savor the Summer

Summer is drawing to a close. I hate that the whole month of August seems like Sunday to me. It's still part of the weekend, but you know its almost over. I have almost 2 full weeks before I go back to work, yet its there..hanging in the background urging me to remember that summer is almost over,trying to keep me from embracing and enjoying each day. So I fight it off by trying to ignore that upcoming event.

One thing that helps is the fact that my older daughter is coming home this weekend for a whole week! Yay! We will hang out and try to do some fun things. Now that she is 21 we can go wine tasting together. Another plus is that my younger daughter doesn't leave for school until the middle of September, that some how makes summer seems longer to me.

And I have had a good summer. It's been quiet, not a lot of hustle and bustle, but I needed that. God knew I did. And I have spent a lot of time with Him. I mentioned to some friends earlier in the summer that I often look to the summer as a time of spiritual renewal. I have worked at that this summer. I purposely engaged in some spiritual disciplines this summer--and the one noticeable result for me is that I feel a little bit more in tune. I don't think that I have made great spiritual strides or had any great revelations this summer,but I'm listening for His voice and hearing it more often.

The scripture verse that seems to capture the essence of my time: Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God." My quiet summer has truly given me many opportunities to be still and to know . That I can savor for the rest of this summer and all year long.

No comments: