Friday, August 21, 2009

While the Master was gone...

I recently read a devotional based on the parable of the talents out of Matthew 25. It was an encouragement to use what God has given us. Not a new idea to me, or you either probably. No, I get that. God wants us to use what He has given us. Pretty basic. No what caught me was these words: "While the master was gone.."(Matthew 25:16 emphasis mine.)

I realized in a new way that the master wasn't around. He was outta there. And yet...2 of the servants took what he had given them, thought about who he was and went to work using the talents they had received. But the master was gone. He didn't encourage them or check in on them. He simply let them be. Let them do. Let them try things out. I'm guessing that some of their efforts failed and didn't turn out like they hoped. Maybe they invested in something that produced nothing. The point is both of these servants eventually doubled what was given to them. And they did it while the master was away.

Sometimes I feel like God calls to me and gives me something and then walks away and I am left holding it, wondering what to do. The scripture doesn't say that the Master took each servant aside and gave him detailed instructions, a step by step process. It simply says that he gave his goods to them, each according to their abilities.

And so I realized that feeling like God has disappeared is not an excuse for hiding away my talent(s) I got honest with God and told him that I didn't like feeling like he was gone, but I knew I was wrong for putting things on hold. And I repented . I thought He was holding out on me, but really I was holding out on Him.

I have been thinking a lot about writing this summer. My writing to be precise.Last spring I finally opened up and shared with one of the gals at my school that I was working on a book, had been dabbling at it for 10 years or more. This woman is also a writer and she is actively pursuing her craft. She took some pages and said she'd read them. She encouraged me, she has invited me to attend one of her writing support groups. Unbeknownst to her , she is actually the one who galvanized me into beginning this blog.

And as I explored these ideas I will confess... I think God gave me a talent for writing and then left on a journey. But I have been more like the last servant--hiding it in the ground because I was afraid.My husband has chastised me lovingly for a long time about it. This summer, this quiet summer I have slowly but regularly worked on the book, trying hard to finish a major section before school starts and quiet is replaced by much activity. Will I finish it? I don't know, but I am working on it, no longer hiding it away. Hopeful that when the Master returns He will say "Well done"

1 comment:

sojourner said...

good for you! i like the new lesson you took from this very familiar story