Thursday, August 20, 2009

God and BHG

Today I decided to chronicle an unusual journey, part of what has happened to to me during the last week. God spoke to me through the pages of Better Homes and Gardens. I have been reading BHG for years. I remember it sitting on my Mom's coffee table when I was a little girl. Sometimes when I was bored I would pick it up and look at it, but it wasn't very interesting to me. Usually I read her Good Housekeeping magazine instead. Flash forward a number of years. I think it was about the time we built our own house and became owners instead of renters, that my Mom began sending me my own subscription to BHG. Now I enjoy it. Mom died several years ago and now I subscribe on my own, mostly because I like the magazine , but partly its a connection to my Mom.

Anyway, last week I was thumbing through the pages of a BHG and I read an article where the simplemom blog was mentioned as a help to organizing your life. Sometime later I went online to check it out. I am always looking for tips in that area. I was very surprised to find that Simplemom is a Christian! I loved her site. I clicked on lots of links and especially the new (in)courage site.

This was truly a God send- a gift from the Father. I've been asking Him for more friends cause I've been a bit lonely this summer. My two closest friends locally (co-workers at my preschool) have both been busy this summer. One has been planning a wedding, in charge of the VBS program and fill-in help at the church office until they hired a new secretary. She's barely had time to catch her breath all summer long. The other gal has seen her Mom suffer through 2 strokes and moved into Hospice care. Her free time is spent at her Mom's house. So we haven't had our coffee times. And I miss them.

I mentioned yesterday that its been a quiet summer. I know that He designed it that way. I see His hand at work. It's been quiet too for Natalie, my soon to be sophomore in college daughter who came home for the summer to work. And so the Father has given us lots of time together--we've gone lap swimming and walking and bike riding together. We've gone to Women's Bible Study and watched a lot of movies together. What a treasure that has been! I am thankful for every minute of it. But it won't be long now and she'll be back at school. So while I rejoice in the strengthening and maturing of my relationship with Natalie, I still ask for more-- typical human that I am.

And now each day I click through sites, and read scraps of blogs. I have found a plethora of women online blogging about life, love, faith. Coffee lovers, writers, God seekers, Moms, wives, teachers. I am so excited about them. I found people I relate to, stories that encourage me, and inspire me . And when I am quiet and listening...I hear the Father chuckling softly and I cry. He loves me so much.

"Every good gift and perfect gift comes is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights.." James 1:17

1 comment:

sojourner said...

threads connecting us together