Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas expectations: snow bound!

Its snowing outside today. Again. Or perhaps a better comment would be, still. It has snowed everyday for the past 9 days and its deep out there. People here are tired of it. Even my kids, who were thrilled at first, just want it to stop and go away. It's messing with everyone's plans. Western Oregon does not expect this much snow--a snow day here and there sure okay but over a foot and its still snowing. Give us a break. And yet, it keeps snowing.

I didn't expect snow like this.It has changed my days and plans for Christmas shopping, caroling and church services. It has greatly increased the hours and stresses of my husband job. For the first time in years he won't be taking one of our kids on a personal shopping trip. It will affect our family's big Christmas Eve dinner and probably the number of presents under the tree. I don't believe in a weather god or a snow god or goddess or even mother nature. I don't believe in global warming either. I believe in the one true God who has the keys for the treasury of snow (Job 38: 7). So I think, God is up to something. Of course He is always at work in our lives, but what's the deal with this snow Lord?

And I've got a couple of thoughts. One is about family. The snow has forced us to be in the house together more than I think we would have been. Even with the snow, the kids still make plans and go out every day, just not as many or as easily. I think that God is giving us the opportunity to be together more, to build our family ties and to learn to love each other better. Tempers flare, but there's no place to hide so we have to work through it and come out stronger. there is time to talk about plans and hopes and dreams. We have to work together more. We've dug out the driveway and decorated the house and made candy together. Its been the perfect opportunity to strengthen the bonds of love. I hope and expect to be together next year, but since I don't know what the future holds I will savor this time of ( forced) togetherness.

In spite of all the ways the snow has changed my expectations of this holiday season, I see the Hand of the Lord at work. The snow is the wrapping paper for gifts He has hidden. Even though it wasn't what I wanted or expected I hope that I have the eyes to see it and the heart to receive it.

1 comment:

natalien said...

Mom, I haven't read your blog in a while but I read this one. how ironic is it that this is the day that we got our magical surprise of Zach and Kalea coming home?? Hahah!!! What good memories. I love what you said about the snow being a gift too, good call mom :)