Monday, December 15, 2008

The Lights of Christmas: Snow Light


For many of us, snow is closely associated with Christmas. I grew up in a locale where snow in December was common. I would feverently hope for fresh snow on Christmas Eve and not just for Santa and his sleigh either. I wanted it to snow because it made everything so beautiful. Snow softens harsh lines, covers up ugliness and transforms it into things of beauty. It changes the sounds of things too. It muffles some noises, but seems to magnify voices calling to one another.Snowy weather adds new sounds to soundtrack of life like the scrape of the snow shovel clearing walks or driveways and the chug of cars with chains rumbling along the streets.

Even today, as an adult, I still get excited about the snow. The inconviences , dangers, challenges and extra work it brings can't stop me from enjoying snowy days and especially snow light. Sun shine and snow produce the most dazzling light I know. Everything is brighter, and everything sparkles. Snow and clouds produce a unique light too. Snow lightens the gloom of heavy cloud cover. Snow clouds appear silver and pink to me as they reflect the electric lights of my community. And a snowy night, whether snow is falling or just on the ground, is never as dark as any other, for the crystals in the snow catch and reflect any glimmer of light available.

All these things that I love about the snow, all the ways it changes the world remind me of the passage from Isaiah where he tells us that "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow."(Isaiah 1:18). When Jesus was born he brought us the opportunity to be transformed like the snow transforms the world and the ability to be reflecters of His light and His glory.

1 comment:

natalien said...

Mommmy I like this one. I was thinking pretty much all these same things about snow last night when Karina and I were walking... voices are so loud but noises are muffled in the snow. Its cool :)