Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Lights; Outside lights


Yesterday we hung up Christmas lights and put a big star up.Just my husband and me(I didn't really do much of anything, but I was there!) No children squealing or oooing and ahhing. No helpers either. Just the two of us. But it was better than last year, where in the wake of the big storm, I was out there all by myself. I just don't have the right touch. Several years I have tried to put up the lights by myself and it never even comes close to looking as good as it does when my husband does it. He's the artist...not me. But I love the lights, their twinkle in the night is very festive to me, and now they 're up under his special touch.

The big star is new for us. I couldn't resit it at the store yesterday. We have a perfect spot for a big light sculpture and I've being looking/thinking about getting something for that spot for a while. It's a five pointed star and it fits in the spot perfectly.

So I have been thinking about stars. In Genesis, God gives us a lot of information about the stars. The sun , moon and stars divide the day from the night, are for signs and seasons, for days and years. They give light on the earth. About stars, scripture says specifically that "He made the stars also. God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. (Gen.1:16) Psalm 147:4 tells us that God counts the number of stars and calls them all by name, while Job 38: 7 informs us that the morning stars can sing. And of course there is the star of Bethlehem that announced the birth of the Messiah, the star that the Wise men followed.

I like having that star up there. On my house it marks a place where Jesus has been born . I hope its presence will lead me into a deeper devotion and guide me again to the humble manger bed where He came from heaven to earth.

1 comment:

natalien said...

Mother, the house is beautiful! And I am so proud that you got this picture taken, then got it on the computer, and then posted it on your blog. you are getting so computer savvy!! :)