Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Lights: Christmas Tree lights

My favorite kind of lights at Christmas time are those on a Christmas tree. I find this kind of light enchanting. I love to sit and look at our tree especially early in the morning. I will turn the tree lights on and nothing else and then sit and look at it. I did it as a kid too. From about 5th grade on through high school I was usually the first one up at my house because I practiced the piano before I went to school. During Christmas time I can remember getting up and turning on the tree lights and spending most of my practice time just gazing at the tree and the lights. I love the soft , warm glow they give off and the way the ornaments sparkle and shine. It's a beautiful, appealling light constantly drawing my eyes towards it.

We put our tree up right next to a big picture window. While the tree is up, we never close the blinds on that window. The tree is always visible for all to see. One of our neighbors told us that during Christmas time he often walks by our house at night so he can appreciate our big tree. Many people display their trees in a similar manner, so that as you pass through a neighborhood you can see into the houses and enjoy each family's decorated tree.

This phenomenon reminds me of Jesus' words in Matthew 5:14 & 15." You are the light of the world.A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. " Jesus , the light of the world, cannot be hidden. And the trees we decorate to commerate his birth, we exhibit to all who pass by, their lights glowing and beckoning us to come and adore Him.

No comments: