Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Sounds of Christmas: Whispers and giggles

Two more of my favorite Christmas sounds are whispers and giggles.They are the sounds of secrets and surprises. During the Advent season these noises become more prevelant as friends and family make big plans for one another. Doors quickly shut and loud proclamations of "Don't come in!" collide with soft voices murmurring.Whispers and giggles speak to me of good things waiting to be revealed. We give gifts and plan surprises to bless one another and bring joy to life.

God whispers to me during Advent. The swish of the wind on a blustery day , the noise of the fire burning in the woodstove, the sounds of the rain on the roof, these are God's whispers. At Christmas time I notice them and tie them to the season because they are wintery sounds and winter weather and Advent arrive about the same time here. And I know that He has surprises in store for me each Advent. These sounds remind me to turn my attention towards Him and listen carefully.

I can't really imagine God giggling, but I know that He keeps secrets and gives gifts. Secrets that are blessings and gifts that are far beyond what we can imagine or think. For until He was born, who would have imagined that the Messiah King would come to earth as a baby. And may be, when He looked down from heaven, the Father chuckled delightedly over the sight of the Baby Jesus, just like earthly fathers chuckle with joy over their own cooing or sleeping child.

No comments: