Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Lights: Candles

I love burning candles at Christmas time. Especially scented ones. Several years ago my sister sent me some mulberry scented candles which have the best fragrance. They are almost gone and I have begun looking for some similar ones to replace them. I would like to keep smelling that fragrance. Its a nice combination of sweet and outdoorsy at the same time.

Candles are easily associated with Christmas. However, two other religious holidays in December have lighting candles as part of the celebration too. Maybe its because this is the darkest time of the year. Candles shining in the darkness remind me both of the words of Isaiah and of the conditions in the stable.Probably the only light that Mary and Joseph would have had was lamp light which is very similar to candlelight.Some people talk about their children as being"the light of their life." Jesus truly was,and not just for Mary and Joseph but for all of us and the Father too.

Scripture tells us that "God sent his only begotten son"( John 3 :16)and that He was well pleased with him. Jesus is the beloved of the Father and the Spirit. He is ( and I don't really have any idea how literally to take this) the light of their life. Isaiah called him the Light shining in the darkness. When I see a candle burning at night, overcoming darkness with a single flame, I am reminded of Jesus, and my call to be like him, a beautiful light in the midst of the darkness of a sin filled world.

No comments: